Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Chapter 3

Chapter III

Morphanthropes



Alexandra stood still, her eyes wide with confusion and fear.

“I know this is all coming to you quickly, but you have to stay with me. There are many things that we do not know yet. Roxas has a theory, but I am not sure what to think of it,” Cordillia said, “He believes that your mother was and you are a Morphanthrope.”

Alexandra looked at Cordillia questioningly, “What?”

“A Morphanthrope is from the planet Meandiloc,” said Roxas, “They are shape shifters.”

Alexandra still stood dumbfounded, “What?”

“They can change into animals at will,” he continued, “as long as you know what the animal looks like. Just think of the animal really hard and then push with your mind and you will turn into that animal. That is what we want to test out on you. If my presumption is correct, then you will definitely turn into an animal.”

“Wha-,” Alexandra said, “No way! I am not some freakin’ animal freak! I won’t turn into some animal just by thinking it! That is insane!” As Alexandra paced, mumbling things to herself, Roxas and Cordillia sat patiently and waited for her to calm down. Finally Cordillia had enough.

“Alexandra!” she said, “Calm the hell down and listen to us!” Alexandra stopped and looked at Cordillia in surprise. She had never heard Cordillia so angry in her life. “We need to know if it is more than just a theory! This could be the thing that saves Sora’s life and you are being a coward in not attempting it!”

The words stung Alexandra like a smack in the face. She looked at Cordillia, tears welling up in her eyes. “I’m sorry,” she whispered, “can’t you just look into the future and see if I can do it?”

“No,” Cordillia replied curtly, “I have already tried and for some reason, your future has become unbelievably fuzzy. That scares me the most.”

Alexandra sat and thought.

“Alright,” I’ll do it,” she said finally, “What animal should I try?”

Roxas spoke up, “The best would be something big like a lion or a bear. That would scare the guards away.”

Alexandra closed her eyes and focused very intently on a tiger. She recalled the stripes and the whiskers. She thought of the glowing green eyes. She imagined herself becoming one, her legs becoming the long slender legs of the tigers. She imagined a tail sprouting from her back. Her body tingled. She opened her eyes and saw that her vision was sharp. She could see colors very distinctly. She also noticed that she was looking up at Roxas and Cordillia, when she usually looked down upon them.

She looked down at her feet and saw white paws.

“I did it!” she exclaimed.

Cordillia smiled and nodded her head. Roxas pumped his fist in the air with triumph.

“I knew that my presumption was correct!”

“Oh…I just thought of a problem,” said Alexandra, “How do I change back?”

“Easy,” said Cordillia, “The same way you changed to.”

Alexandra closed her eyes once again and focused. She felt the familiar tingle and when she opened her eyes she was looking down upon Cordillia and Roxas.

“Piece of cake,” she said, smiling


No comments:

Post a Comment